Autor Wątek: OE-1 Odyssey Espresso  (Przeczytany 13968 razy)

Offline GostRado Mężczyzna

• Ekspres: 》La MARZOCCO Linea Micra 》ELEKTRA Micro Casa 》ECM classika PID 》AP + FP 》BRA cafetera bella 1tz/2tz 》FOREVER miss diamond 4tz 》GIANNINI giannina 1tz/3tz 》BIALETTI venus 2tz 》MELITTA dripper 101 》
  • Młynek: 》CEADO e37S 》1Zpresso K-plus 》
Odp: OE-1 Odyssey Espresso
« Odpowiedź #45 dnia: 19 Styczeń 2022, 17:31:16 »
zaszczepić idee kontrastów 
Kapitalnie powiedziane 👌
》tertium non datur《

• Ekspres: 》La MARZOCCO Linea Micra 》ELEKTRA Micro Casa 》ECM classika PID 》AP + FP 》BRA cafetera bella 1tz/2tz 》FOREVER miss diamond 4tz 》GIANNINI giannina 1tz/3tz 》BIALETTI venus 2tz 》MELITTA dripper 101 》
« Odpowiedź #46 dnia: 30 Styczeń 2022, 19:29:14 »
CoffeeGeek o Argosie:

"Modern Lever Espresso That Won’t Break the Bank: The Argos

It’s no secret that lever espresso machines are a particular passion at CoffeeGeek. We write about them all the time (check out our look at the Flair Espresso machine, the Cafelat Robot, and going way back, our look at the Elektra Micro Casa a Leva in 2002!). We also follow the lever market closely and know the ins and outs of it, and to be honest, it’s not been great for home lever enthusiasts, at least in the powered machine market. It seems we’ve been stuck with design and technology designed in the 1950s and 1960s for most machines available today (like the Elektras and Pavonis),

There is innovative and “pretty” stuff out there. If you have 8,000 Euros ($9,000USD!), you can pre-order a Manument Lever machine which was introduced last year, and still hasn’t seen production. If you have 2,500 Euros laying around, you can buy the very low-technology Streitman CT2 espresso machine which definitely looks super cool but I’m not sure if paying well over $3,000USD (once shipping and such is factored in) for some nice industrial design with a basic 350ml boiler is a sound investment. There’s also the Profitec 800, which is a very modernized take on a lever machine, if you have $4,300 to spend.

The problem with all the above is it’s either a) too expensive, b) not enough modern features, or c) both. You could go the manual lever espresso route (we like the Flair lineup, but especially love the Cafelat Robot), but they are unpowered manual machines, and there’s no option to steam milk with either of them.

Now something new has come along: the Argos Lever Espresso machine from Odyssey Espresso. Not only is it pretty to look at (especially if you like a steampunk kind of look to your tools and equipment), but it is thoroughly modern with a PID controlled boiler and bluetooth connectivity with an app. And it doesn’t stop there: the machine is also highly customizable, even to the point where it can be super customized depending on if you’re right or left handed. Let’s talk a bit more about this new machine.

The Argos

Ross Answorth with the Argos

Ross Ainsworth is the person behind Odyssey Espresso and the Argos. Fascinating guy with a real love for lever espresso. We did a feature interview with him on this product and his plans as a companion piece to the blog post, please go give it a read.

Ainsworth designed the Argos from the ground up to be modular and even expandable (to the point where a plumbed in option might be viable down the road). It’s also designed to be economical to produce and sell: the goal is to keep the machine’s retail price below $1,000, which for a boutique, handbuilt (in the USA) machine with PID controls and lots of customizations, seems like a huge bargain.

Modular

Two piston examples, one with a spring, one without.

What makes this a modular lever espresso machine? It’s the first consumer machine I’m aware of that can be easily switched between a spring loaded lever system using either an 8BAR or 6BAR spring, to a direct lever, you are the pump kind of machine. There’s often arguments back and forth in the lever espresso community about which is better – spring pistons or direct levers. With this machine, not only can you switch back and forth between the two modes, but you can even swap out the 8BAR spring for a 6BAR spring. This gives some real options in hand crafting espresso.

“The 8BAR spring provides a traditional strong espresso taste and mouthfeel allowing for a finer grind but can be more difficult to get right.” Ainsworth says. “The 6BAR spring is great for low pressure “turbo” shots which have been reported to have higher extraction yield. One can expect a sweeter and more balanced shot with the lower pressure spring while also requiring less force to pull the lever handle down and being less prone to channeling.”

On the direct lever mode, Ainsworth says: “Pulling a direct lever definitely has a learning curve at first; it can be difficult to get a nice and consistent extraction. For those that like to experiment, it’s nice to customize your pressure profile based on the type of bean or roast that you’re using. It’s a fun process of varying pressure in order to create that perfect shot.”

Here’s a look at how the machine can be changed from direct lever to spring piston lever modes.

The modularity doesn’t end there. Ainsworth designed the Argos so that the steam wand assembly and controls can be custom installed at the factory for left or right handed operation. I’m a leftie, and I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate something like that.

The wood accent side panels are held in place via magnets, and can be easily swapped out with another wood type, giving the machine a fresh look. You should also be able to order different wood handles and knobs from Odyssey Espresso to further change the look of your Argos should you want to, down the road.

Technology

The brains of the Argos machine.

Ainsworth designed in a lot of technology for this machine, including a datalogging system, PID controls for the boiler, and even bluetooth technology and a companion app.

The PID system is fairly standard, but the Argos goes with an analogue dial for setting the temperature, in keeping with the steampunk look for the machine. It might be possible to also set the temperature via bluetooth and the companion app down the road, but that is just in the planning stage. The boiler is relatively small (about 6 shots worth) so the transition time between brew temperatures (PID controlled by the user) and steam temperatures (preset) are not long.

The logic board inside is complex, has Bluetooth connectivity and can communicate a lot of information with a companion app that Odyssey Espresso is developing. And it’s not just information like operation time, water temperatures and fluid levels. There’s even more planned.

Pressure Tranducer and Custom App

“All units have Bluetooth capability so we decided to develop an app to display general machine data like temperature and fluid levels and more.” Ainsworth says. “We’ll also be offering an additional wireless pressure transducer as an option, that will plot real time pressure as users are pulling down on the lever in the direct configuration. This is a great fit for people that may want to save a pressure profile from a pull that they really enjoyed and use that as an overlay to recreate the shot in the future. This also allows users to takes notes as they try out different roast styles, temperatures, bean origins, et cetera, to keep track of what they like and don’t like.”

The Argos in Use

The Argos while pulling a shot of espresso.

Not many people outside of Odyssey Espresso have used the Argos yet, so we’re relying on what the company says about the machine and its capabilities.

That said, they are looking into all aspects of the machine and even doing some last minute fine tuning to improve it before the first units ship.

One example: the springs used are being fine tuned. The company has tested how the springs react and what their decline in pressure is over the shot pull, with the current units going from 8BAR to 3.5BAR by the end of the shot (this is a good thing in lever espresso and it’s why people think spring lever espresso shots are the best the world – that declining pressure and temperature of water).

Speaking of declining temperatures, Odyssey Espresso has also studied the thermal loss in the grouphead during shot pulls; they saw declines from 93C to 86C through the shot process, which again is very much in line with some of the most desirable ranges on other lever grouphead designs. It also remains consistent over shot pull after repeated shot pull.

That back to back shot ability is another benefit of the Argos’ design. Traditional lever machines like the La Pavoni or Elektra keep water in the boiler at steam-producing levels, and have designed their groupheads to leech off that extra hot water temperatures (usually up to 125C in the boiler under pressure). The problem is, that only works for the first shot pull. If you try pulling a second shot right away, the grouphead is now super-heated too, and your espresso pull will be absolutely burnt.

With the Argos and its two stage boiler, you can confidently pull repeated shots of espresso, one after the other, and the grouphead will not overheat. When you want to steam milk, flip a switch on the back, wait one minute, and the machine is ready to steam milk.

The side dial on the Argos Lever Espresso machineBuilding and testing the Argos Espresso MachineThe lever arm detail on the Argos Espresso machinePiston Assembly detail on the ArgosGrouphead plumbing for the Argos Lever Espresso MachineDual Switches for brew boiler and steam levels on the ArgosAssembly of the ArgosThe pressure gage on the machine boiler cap.Argos on the test benchConclusion

In this era of the $2,000, $4,000, and even $9,000 powered lever espresso machine, seeing the Argos going for under $1K is refreshing.

Even more refreshing is how cutting edge it is in many ways, and how unique the machine is. Left or right handed operation? Check. Spring lever or Straight Piston? Your choice. 8BAR spring, or 6BAR? Again, your choice. PID controlled? Taken care of. Dual mode boiler for brewing and steaming? Yup. Beautiful minimalist design? They got you covered on that.

All this said, at this point the Argos is still essentially vaporware. Odyssey Espresso and Ainsworth plan on shipping the first pre-orders in April of this year (2022), and possibly getting test units out to a few reviewers, our website hopefully included, and that’s when the real talk about this machine and what it offers will start to be heard. If you’d like to be an early adopter, the machine starts at $850USD on the company’s pre-order page.

For us at CoffeeGeek, we absolutely love and adore levers. To see this new product coming to market, it bodes well for thousands of people to discover the joys of and rewards of lever espresso brewing. We really hope it’s a major success.

Mark has certified as a Canadian, USA, and World Barista Championship Judge in both sensory and technical fields, as well as working as an instructor in coffee and espresso training. He started CoffeeGeek in 2001."

》tertium non datur《

Offline pietro

• Ekspres: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
  • Młynek: Mazzer mini
« Odpowiedź #47 dnia: 30 Styczeń 2022, 21:15:33 »
Mocno mnie kusiła ta dźwignia, gdyby rozmiar grupy był mniejszy to prawdopodobnie bym się nią pobawił :)

« Odpowiedź #48 dnia: 31 Styczeń 2022, 20:55:38 »
gdyby rozmiar grupy był mniejszy to prawdopodobnie bym się nią pobawił
Fakt, uniwersalność grupy 58 jest fajna, ale shoty z mniejszą dozą lepsze wychodzą z mniejszej średnicy sitek.

Wywiad Marka z CoffeeGeek z Rossem:

"He’s got a love of espresso — especially lever espresso, and with his engineering background, is developing a state of the art, steampunk styled espresso lever system for the masses. Meet Ross Ainsworth of Odyssey

Let’s meet with a very interesting person: Ross Ainsworth. A mechanical engineer with a background in the aviation industry, Ainsworth is also someone who loves coffee and espresso, and has a special love for lever espresso machines.

That passion engineering and for espresso and lever machines is behind the foundation of Ainsworth’s company: Odyssey Espresso. The company’s first product, designed by him, is the Argos Lever Espresso Machine.

We’ve detailed the Argos in a blog post, also published the same day as this interview; please take a moment to go read that if you want the full details on this new brewer.

Suffice to say though, the Argos has the potential to be a game changer; with its choice of 6 or 8 BAR springs, or the ability to reverse the piston mount and use it as a direct lever espresso machine. The addition of the control app and bluetooth connectivity really affords the ability to fine tune your espresso making using an almost scientific method approach to pulling shots. And, the fact that it can be set up for left or right handed use is not lost on this left-hander conducting this interview.

We recently had a long chat with Ainsworth about the Argos, what drives him to produce these products, and what the future holds for the Argos and other products Odyssey Espresso has in the planning stages.

Interview with Ross Ainsworth

CG: Your background is in mechanical engineering and the aviation industry; what made you jump into the world of espresso technology?

Ainsworth: My passion for coffee and espresso has grown significantly over the past 10 years. When it came time to step up my home espresso setup from the moka pot and handheld espresso makers, I was shocked at the prices.

From there, I thought I could use my skills to try and create my own. I ran some numbers and decided I could design a simple yet modern machine for an appealing price. Everything developed and progressed from there.

CG: What made you gravitate towards a lever espresso machine design as your first foray into the world of espresso technology?

Ainsworth: My goal was always to produce a simple yet affordable machine.

With that said, the dipper style lever machine had a lot of advantages. For one, there is no other modern looking PID controlled lever machine on the market for under $1000 in US dollars.

The dipper style also meant that no pumps are required since it relies on boiler pressure and the lever to produce necessary pressures. This was appealing because pumps are expensive, loud, and potentially unreliable. Also, as a mechanical engineer, I just love the simple beauty behind pistons, linkages, and springs to utilize mechanical advantage.

CG: Dipper Style… I don’t think I ever heard that term before for a lever machine! Where did you pick that up?

Ainsworth: I learned this term on the forums. Unlike a dual boiler or heat exchanger style espresso machine that uses a pump to drive the brew water into the grouphead, a “dipper” style machine uses boiler steam pressure to drive the brew water up to the group.

This is the traditional method for lever machines where the piston nominally sits in front of the water feed inlet. Once raised, the inlet is no longer blocked, and the boiler pressure which is usually at 1.5 to 2.5 BAR, forces hot water into the brew chamber and can act as a sort of ‘pre-infusion’ stage.

An issue with the classic dipper design is that the high boiler temperatures required to create the necessary steam pressure causes the group to overheat quickly and cause higher than desired shot temperatures. I’m able to combat this issue with a long external fill tube to the group, a relatively isolated group from the boiler, and PID control that references an additional group thermocouple to tell the boiler to adjust water temperature according to the grouphead temperature allowing each shot to extract at the desired set temperature.

Specialty Coffee Businesses supporting CoffeeGeek

CG: The Argos is unique in that it can be converted rather easily from a direct lever system to a spring lever system; was that the design goal from the start?

Ainsworth: No. Somewhere throughout the initial concept sketches and ideation I recognized that this could be possible. While it took some design iteration to get it right, I was excited when it worked out as I think it’ll be a really unique option to make the machine more versatile for both beginners and experts alike.

CG: What are the benefits in your mind to a spring lever espresso delivery system?

Ainsworth: A spring lever is simple. You pull the lever to compress a spring, release, and you’re done. The extractions are very consistent and always produce a smooth declining pressure profile.

CG: Same question about the other delivery technology: what are the benefits to a direct lever system, where your hand is the “pump” as it were?

Ainsworth: Pulling a direct lever definitely has a learning curve at first – it can be difficult to get a nice and consistent extraction. For those that like to experiment, it’s nice to customize your pressure profile based on the type of bean or roast that you’re using. It’s a fun process of varying pressure in order to create that perfect shot.

CG: For you, working with this machine for a while now, what’s your preference? Spring or Direct Lever?

Ainsworth: I personally enjoy the direct lever experience. While noticeably more difficult to get right, I enjoy perfecting my technique and feeling the actual pull as the shot extracts.

We’ve also got an Argos companion app for both iOS and Android which pairs with our wireless bluetooth pressure transducer, which is an add-on item, to plot extraction pressure in real time. As an engineer I have to appreciate the hard work that both my UX Designer and Developer put into this app which really adds to the whole experience.

CG: Who is the ideal customer for the Argos espresso machine?

Ainsworth: It’s meant for the novice and expert alike! The ideal customer could be anyone just getting into espresso or specialty coffee or the advanced home barista that wants to add a fun modern looking machine to their collection.

CG: You opted to go with a 58mm filter basket design which historically hasn’t been used much in home lever espresso machines; any challenges in that regard vs the usual 49mm or 51mm piston and portafilter designs we see on Elektras and Pavonis?

Ainsworth: I liked the idea of having a broad range of off the shelf 58mm products. While the machine ships with a high quality shower screen, basket, and all stainless steel portafilter, many users may already own nice competition baskets of different sizes, precision tampers, levelers, funnel, et cetera, which I wanted to be compatible with the Argos.

CG: Any challenges in incorporating a PID temperature control to the boiler?

Ainsworth: No significant challenges other than not being a controls expert. The circuit board was designed with the intent of running PID controls so the integration was simple. Once I got the help of some professionals, it’s become a fun task of tuning and optimizing the control logic and watching the progression of the machine’s response and stability to each change.

CG: The Argos is designed to have key elements, like the steam wand, installed on the left or right handed side. As a left hander, I appreciate that. What challenges did this present, if any?

Ainsworth: It really didn’t present any challenges which is exactly why I wanted to offer this option. I’ll have steam lines pre-bent and sent to me so I just spec them to be bent one way or the other and swap sides between the steam wand and temperature knob (located in the same spot on either side).

Specialty Coffee Businesses supporting CoffeeGeek

CG: The Argos has wood elements; any concern about the longevity of those wood parts on a hot espresso machine, steam and water over the years?

Ainsworth: I’ve always loved the aesthetic of wood accents on stainless steel so I definitely wanted to include the wood. As long as people clean and take good care of their machines, I’m not too worried about the longevity given that wood is already a common material on espresso machines.

CG: That’s true especially for commercial machines! But I’ve experienced some wood-incorporations in coffee brewers, including pour overs that have degraded or warped in just a few short years. While I’m not concerned about the handles at all, it’s the side panels that could be pose a problem long term. Are they easy to replace if there is an issue?

Ainsworth: I definitely recognize the concern and personally have not noticed any issues in the past 2 years of prototype testing. The most mess I see is in the drip tray (which is removable for washing and held in place by a magnet) as well as some occasional splatter on the front cover. In the unlikely event that side panels degrade, they’re magnetically held in place and easily replaceable.

CG: Odyssey Espresso says the transition times between steaming and brewing is about a minute either way; What temperature is set for steaming (or pressure), and how do you get such a fast transition back down to brewing temperatures?

Ainsworth: On the prototype, the steam setting is set to 130C which typically ranges from 2-3 bar pressure. It works out well that dippers require the boiler to be hotter than brew temperatures to have the required pressure for getting water into the grouphead. This machine pulls the first shot at around 128C to get an output of 92C. As the group heats from each shot the set temperature declines slightly but always remains relatively close to that steam temperature. The small boiler provides quick thermal response in both directions.

CG: This machine has a lot of options, including the choice of either an 8BAR spring or a 6BAR spring. What are the benefits and detriments of both?

Ainsworth: The 8BAR spring provides a traditional strong espresso taste and mouthfeel allowing for a finer grind but can be more difficult to get right with a higher sensitivity to puck prep. The 6BAR spring is great for low pressure turbo, as I like to call it, shots which have been reported to have higher extraction yield. One can expect a sweeter and more balanced shot with the lower pressure spring while also requiring less force to pull the lever handle down and being less prone to channeling.

CG: Speaking of options, I read that this machine will be optionally bluetooth enabled? Walk us through the reasons and benefits from that?

Ainsworth: All units have Bluetooth capability so we decided to develop an app to display general machine data like temperature and fluid level as well as offer an additional wireless pressure transducer that will plot real time pressure as users are pulling down on the lever in the direct configuration. This is a great fit for people that may want to save a pressure profile from a pull that they really enjoyed and use that as an overlay to recreate the shot in the future. This also allows users to takes notes as they try out different roast styles, temperatures, bean origins, et cetera, to keep track of what they like and don’t like.

CG: What other options do you plan with the machine?

Ainsworth: Other options include a piston pressure gauge, custom angular double spouted portafilter, walnut vs ash wood options, left-hand vs right hand steam wand position, and potentially a plumb in direct fill option we’re currently testing.

CG: Wow, plumbed in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a home lever espresso machine with that option. The downside is it would have to stay completely stationary, but the upside is never having to worry about filling or emptying the machine. Do you think there’s a market or demand for that?

Ainsworth: I actually wanted to incorporate this aspect very early on when playing around with boiler generated vacuum which occurs as the machine cools and steam condenses. I figured it would be fun to take advantage of the thermodynamics at play and use that vacuum to suck in water and refill itself. This simplistic approach came with several challenged and eventually evolved into a plumbed in version.

There is a surprising number of people that have plumbed in setups at home which has led to a significant number of inquiries about the option and overall positive response.

Mark Prince is the Founder and Senior Editor of CoffeeGeek. He’s a former USBC and WBC Certified Judge and teaches classes in coffee and espresso."

« Ostatnia zmiana: 31 Styczeń 2022, 21:11:55 wysłana przez GostRado »
》tertium non datur《

Offline MSL

• Ekspres: Decent, ECM Technika IV Profi, Orchestrale Nota
  • Młynek: Ceado E37S, Ceado E37J, Ceado E6P, Compak K3
« Odpowiedź #49 dnia: 10 Kwiecień 2022, 18:16:11 »
Odświeżę nieco temat w związku z faktem, że.... zupełnie spontanicznie zamówiłem zestaw Argos + bluetooth. :ogien:

Pierwsza dźwignia w życiu, będzie wesoło. ;)

« Odpowiedź #50 dnia: 10 Kwiecień 2022, 18:23:49 »
Gratuluję  :ok: Będziesz miał nielada frajdę. Czekamy na recenzje, jak już ją oswoisz.
Jak przyleci, to napisz, ile Cię całkowicie kosztowała.
« Ostatnia zmiana: 10 Kwiecień 2022, 18:26:35 wysłana przez GostRado »
》tertium non datur《

« Odpowiedź #51 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 18:07:41 »
Dostają:

》tertium non datur《

Offline Jozin von Bazin

« Odpowiedź #52 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 18:20:17 »
Motyla noga! Aż się oblizałem. O co chodzi z tymi dźwigniami, że takie emocje wywołują.

Offline Antonio Mężczyzna

• Mastro Antonio
  • Ojciec Chrzestny
    • Mastro Antonio
  • Ekspres: WEGA Concept
  • Młynek: Ceado E6P/E37S/E8D MGuate/MSJ
« Odpowiedź #53 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 18:21:57 »
Chyba powrót do korzeni espresso a przy tym akurat -- niewielkie rozmiary.

« Odpowiedź #54 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 18:31:14 »
Gość zamówił full wypas.
》tertium non datur《

Offline Jozin von Bazin

« Odpowiedź #55 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 18:38:36 »
Ciekaw jestem jakie tam ratio wychodzi bo to jest zmora dźwigni. Niby są filmy gdzie im ratio 1:2 wychodzi z 18g, ale puszczają dużo kawy na preinfuzji więc nie do końca miarodajne.

« Odpowiedź #56 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 18:50:08 »
Raczej przy pojawieniu się kropelek na prysznicu i puszczeniu dźwigni, nie da rady zrobić 1:2.
》tertium non datur《

Offline Jozin von Bazin

« Odpowiedź #57 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 19:02:11 »

Ja zacząłem na Elektra stosować fellini, nawet mi zaczynają takie shoty smakować. Pewnie kwestia przyzwyczajenia.

Offline MSL

• Ekspres: Decent, ECM Technika IV Profi, Orchestrale Nota
  • Młynek: Ceado E37S, Ceado E37J, Ceado E6P, Compak K3
« Odpowiedź #58 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 19:23:30 »
Ja cały czas czekam na swojego, podobno moja seria w okolicach marca.

Offline Jozin von Bazin

« Odpowiedź #59 dnia: 20 Grudzień 2023, 19:32:30 »
Po cłach i VAT wyjdzie ze 6 tyś, chyba bym dołożył do Strietmana, którego i tak za taką kasę bym nie kupił  :lol2:

Pokaż nieprzeczytane posty: Nowe / Wszystkie / Odpowiedzi